How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My 13 year old niece wants to live with me,her mother is

Customer Question

My 13 year old niece wants to live with me,her mother is mentally unstable,very abusive,my niece self harms and runs away all the time,she told me she cant take it anymore and wants to end her life,what rights do i have to remove her from her mother,if none then what can i do,i have my familys support and i will do whatever is needed to make my niece safe,any advice would be wonderful,thankyou,kindest regards lizzie
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

Where is the father of the child and have Social Services been involved at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no known father and no social services havnt been involved
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Has your neice spoken to school about her problems?

Will her mother object to her moving to your care

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she hasnt told anyone,she is to scared her mother will find out and yes her mum will object,she really is a desperate little girl,
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

What abuse has she suffered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mental and phyisical,ive seen the bruses and marks on her,she had a fractured skull when she was little and a burn on her hand,she is mentally abused everyday,called names,screamed at,pushed around,she has to do all the caring of her little sister and her mum,cooking,cleaning,she has slight learning difficulties
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How old is the younger sister and do you have any concerns for her care?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 10,she is treated fine by her mum,she follows her mums lead and is quite nasty to my niece aswell
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

If you wish your niece to come into your care she needs to tell someone what is happening to her.

This could be a trusted Teacher at school, or even Childline.

Alternatively you could speak to Social Services.

At that point you could ask that she stays with you whilst matters are investigated further

At 13 her wishes will be seen as inportant and it is likely that Social Services will agree with this.

Once matters have begun then you can apply for a Child Arrangement Order stating that she lives with you

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou so much for your time xx
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome - I hope all goes well