How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I was divorced in 1996 and have just checked my house deeds

This answer was rated:

I was divorced in 1996 and have just checked my house deeds and my x husbands name is ***** ***** the deeds.I have lived in this house on my own for the last 20 years and paid the mortgage off a few years ago.How do I get his name off of the deeds?


Thanks for your question.

Was the property supposed to be transferred in to your sole name as a result of court proceedings in your divorce?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't really remember If I was to take a guess it was an agreement between us that I wouldn't claim any of his pension which I never have

So do you think that your husband informally agreed with you to transfer the property to your sole name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Drafting your answer now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I was talking to the solicitor on line and really didn't need a phone call could you please cancel as I have already paid the initial money and cannot afford to pay any more as I will go overdrawn


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

You will not be able to transfer the property in to your sole name without your husband’s input.

A property can only be transferred in these circumstances if there is a formal order of the court (which I presume you do not have because you would probably know about it) OR if a land registry transfer (TR1) is prepared and execute by both you and your husband,

This is because if the property is presently registered in both of your names then the land registry will only register a transfer to your sole name if your husband also executes the land registry transfer.

So, you will have to contact your husband to check that he is agreeable to this. If he is then you can instruct a solicitor to prepare the land registry transfer for him to execute and return to you/your solicitor. Your solicitor will then be able to register the transfer at land registry so that the property can be transferred in to your sole name.

Additionally,, if you and you husband presently hold the house jointly (as joint tenants) then each person's share would pass to the other upon death regardless of any direction made in any Will. If this is not what you want then you should sever the joint tenancy by using Form SEV from the Land Registry (you will have to send it to them and if you have any questions about completing the form you should call their customer service number - they are very helpful):-

You will then hold you interests as tenants in common, meaning that your respective shares will pass according to their wills or under the intestacy rules. Your partner need not sign the form provided you follow the instructions.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you