How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I won a custody case against my Ex this week. The case was

This answer was rated:

I won a custody case against my Ex this week. The case was concerning my ability to take my children away for Holiday. The children are 3 and 7 years old. The courts granted me 2 weeks away, with the condition that I provide the mother contact information and flight details etc...She is unhappy about the ruling and is filing a "Stay" order and a re-trial. The planned trip is in 2 weeks time! I have bought flight tickets!Can a "stay" of a case over-rule a court order?
Will a stay order be done without my input, or presence.. Can I file paperwork against her "stay" order?How long does it take for a Judge to see this application and make a ruling?Thanks

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

What ground is she using for the appeal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure exactly because I have not seen the appeals paper work... (can i ask her for it? or can i get it from court?)she just believes the kids are too young to travel. Cafcass report recommended that they not travel. However this is a special occasion that we are going to. As well as the older child has travelled on holiday with me twice in the past. once when he was 1.5 years old and again when he was three years old. That is the main reason why they decided that I should be allowed my family reunion trip.Three Magistrates and a legal advisor were the decision makers...

How old are the children and where are you going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Children are 3 and 7 and I am going in two weeks

Where are you going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why did CAFCASS say no?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CafCass uses old Australian data that says a child under the age of 4 years might have psychological effects in the future if they spend time away from the primary carer..

Must have been a relatively new CAFCASS officer - a fortnight does not cause trauma.

Your ex can file an appeal and ask for the Order to be stayed until the appeal date - but in view of the travel date a Judge will look at it as a matter of urgency

You are entitled to see the paperwork - she needs to serve it on you as well as the court

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question.. How do I know when the case is stayed?? If she submits paperwork is the previous order stayed.. Or do i follow along with current court orders until I have papers?

You will receive paperwork stating that - until you receive it the Order stands

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you