How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35053
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother has dementia and has gradually got worse over the

This answer was rated:

My mother has dementia and has gradually got worse over the last few years. We have carried on paying her bills for her and making sure she has everything she needs. She has a few thousand pounds in savings and we have been using this money to pay for everything using her bank debit card or cheques. When she was alert (after her husband died) she relied on us to help her and pay her bills. The problem is we didn't think to get power of attorney when she was in her right mind but she has declined rapidly which means she is unable to do anything for herself including even signing her own name.
My first question is will we now be able to get power of attorney? My second question - I'm not sure where we stand in the meantime (without power of attorney) when she still has bills to pay and the only way that can happen is if we do it for her. By 'we' I mean me, my brother and sister.
I would be grateful for your advise as this has now become a big worry for us.
Thank you
Jackie Gabb

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

If your mother no longer has mental capacity (you should ask her Consultant) then you need to apply to be appointed as her Deputy

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** like the way forward. Do I need to get a letter from her consultant or doctor confirming her illness before completing the deputy form?

One of the forms is a Medical report which has to be completed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've looked at the form and I need to get an OPG Case number? Do you know have I obtain this?

You get that after you send all the completed forms off!

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you