How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34890
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I wonder if you can give me some advice please. My Daughter

Customer Question

Good Morning,
I wonder if you can give me some advice please. My Daughter is divorced and has two young children aged 7 and 10. They are in regular contact with their Father, but the problem is that he is a devout Jehovah witness and is insisting that the two girls take up the faith as he has. My Daughter feels that they are being manipulated into this religion, and when she has requested that he doesn't take them to the "meetings" he says he can do this without her consent. Can you please, please give me advice on what steps to take next with this situation, as my Daughter just wants her children to grow up in a normal environment, although she wouldn't want her children not to see their Father this was never the case, just that he doesn't indoctrinate them while they are still so young and not able to have an independent opinion on the whole religious issue. Thank You
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name us Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How long hav ethey been separated an dhow often does he tale the children to "meetings"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have been divorced over two years and he takes children to meetings twice a week and also conducts religious studies with them whilst he has them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also he takes them to attend special ceremonies that take place at their "kingdom hall"
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Was he a Witness when they were married?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His mother was actually a witness and started to introduce him gradually he was showing interest when marrying my daughter but has become more involved after they married and had just one child at that point
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Did he take the children to meetings prior to the divorce?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he did but as i said he has literally become obsessed over time with the whole thing
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How is the care of the chidlren shared between them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The childrens father has them 2 days a week
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Which two?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It can vary but usually wants them on days when there are meetings going on although my daughter has tried to move these days on ocassions when she manages this he tends to give them personal bible study at home
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What i really am interested in finding out is can he lawfully be restricted from involving them in this religion which to be honest is turning out to be little more than a "cult" if it is deemed unsuitable by their mother who is the main carer
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

The issue of religion is one which neither parent can simply impose on the children - it is something that needs to be discussed by the parents using Family mediation

In fact this issue has been addressed by the court in the case here

So whilst he can take them to meetings onhis ocntact days - the bible study needs to stop.

There should also be a set pattern of contact for the sake of the children.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details