How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I was divorced last year. we agreed a maintenance fee of

Customer Question

Hello, I was divorced last year. we agreed a maintenance fee of £1400pcm that I would receive. Financial court order was put in place and I agreed to receive this amount until pensionable age, 6 months after cohabiting, remarriage or windfall. I earn £35k currently. My ex husband always earned £100k+ hence the maintenance as he was the one filing for divorce. Current situation: I have a boyfriend who I would like to cohabit with in a rental property. He earns around same as me per annum. He cannot support me. If I move out of my current rental property and move in with him I will be worse off. Current rent I pay £850pcm. Prices where we live would mean we would need to pay approx £1500-£1600pcm. Is it possible to ask the court to continue my maintenance payments or reduce slightly so I will be no worse off if I cohabit or is the court order set in stone? The reason maintenance was put in place was so I was no worse off not being married. Together 20 yrs, married 14 years. No kids.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately the trigger events will not be variable as this has been approved by the court as it would have been expected that your new partner would be able to support you. Your ex-spouse will have no responsibility towards you if you cohabit for more than 6 months.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.