How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Can I stay in the UK if my brother is a citizen of UK

Customer Question

Can I stay in the UK if my brother is a citizen of UK
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.


Are you already in the UK? If so, what visa do you have?

How did your brother obtain uk citizenship?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in UK as a tier 2 dependent and our visa expires or is cancelled next month u can say .. My wife has left the job that's why and we want to aboid going back. Need urgent help and suggestion. My brother was here as a dependent as well and stayed and worked to get his visa .
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for your patience.

Unfortunately, you are not regarded as a family member of your brother for the purpose of the immigration rules.

This means that you cannot apply on the basis that your brother is a UK citizen.

The only possible way that this would be conceivably possible would be if both you are your wife were dependent on him financially and also to carry out day to day tasks (washing, cleaning etc). In these circumstances you might be able to apply for an adult dependent relatives visa. However, the fact that your wife has been working and that you have recently been capable of living as an independent family unit indicates that this would not be possible.

I am afraid that your only option would appear to be for your wife to attempt to find a new sponsor willing to offer her a job for tier 2 purposes.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. If you are satisfied then please leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.


Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,