How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My mother and father own the deed to our house, 50% each,

This answer was rated:

My mother and father own the deed to our house, 50% each, but my father wants to sign his 50% to me, his 21 year old son, what do we need to do?

Hi, thank you for your question. This would be transfer of share from him to you and can be done using the process outlined here:

You will also need to consider whether you wish to hold the property as joint tenants or tenants in common with your mother. Joint tenants cannot pass on their share to other people as inheritance and it automatically transfers to the other joint tenant upon death, whereas tenants in common can pass on their share in a will or under intestacy rules.

Given the potential legal complexities it would be best if you instruct a local conveyancing solicitor to deal with this to ensure that it is done correctly.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you