How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I got divorced two years ago, and signed a clean break

Customer Question

I got divorced two years ago, and signed a clean break agreement, without legal advice. I was bullied by my ex-husband, but do not believe it was a fair settlement. This was one of those quick divorce online. My ex-husband had a well paid job, with pensions etc He kept the house, and my quality of lifestyle has been completely changed, from one of living in a nice home, and no financial worries, to living in a small rented flat, and in debt. Is it possible I could make a claim against my ex-husband?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Why did you not obtain legal advice and do you have a copy of the order (you can attach it here using the paperclip icon)?

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not use a solicitor as I was depressed, and my ex-husband said that he did not want me to have legal representation, as he claimed it was a fair settlement. I was pressured into doing the online quickie divorce, and leave the marital home. Cannot find paperclip icon, and the add files link is not working. Is there an email address that I can forward the clean break agreement to, please.Kind regards
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - I have now seen the consent order sent by email and note that you received a £75,000 lump sum in full and final settlement but there is no disclosure as to what assets there were. The order also states that you have both exchanged full and frank financial disclosure and also states that you have obtained independent legal advice. Given that the order was made "by consent" this means that you have both agreed to the settlement between you and the judge approved it as a fair settlement having taken into account all the disclosure.

Unfortunately, you will have no grounds to apply to vary or challenge the order unless you can demonstrate that there was misrepresentation or fraud by your ex-husband in his disclosure that would have led to a materially different outcome.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you,