How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have no idea were to start me and my other half split up,

This answer was rated:

i have no idea were to start me and my other half split up, and she's pregnant with my child and i believe that she won't be putting my name on the birth certificate plus she going to not let me have contact when him\her when born. she won't talk to me about anything to do with it just keep say go away when i try ask about it?

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm if you are married to your partner and when is the child due?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none married and about 7 mouths time

Sorry, did you mean to state that you are not married?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not married

Thank you for confirming. As you are not married, you do not have automatic parental responsibility or a right to be involved or named on the birth certificate. However, this will not preclude you from pursuing a relationship with the child when he/she is born as the child will have a right to a relationship with both of you which can only be reasonably restricted if there are child protection concerns or if it is in the child's best interests.

If, upon birth of the child the mother continues to refuse you to play a part or have contact with the child I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1.The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you