How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Our consent order is coming to a close next year in June. My

This answer was rated:

Our consent order is coming to a close next year in June.
My son who has been living with me for the last 10 years, has decided to move down to his father, providing one weeks notice. His father is very wealthy and pays me 1057.00 per month for Andrew and I have the used of the company care and fuel.
Their father has said that he isn't going to pay any further money for Andrew and wants the company car back.
Clearly this has left me in a complete quandry, financially at a loss, because the house and it's running costs are built around it's income.
I was sensibly preparing the house to ensure it was sold at its best, ***** ***** view to putting it on the market in spring next year and of course trying to put some money aside for a car, petrol, insurance etc.
the consent order states that ''the Applicant will provide a motor vehicle for the benefit of the applicant throughout the period up until the youngest child reaches 17 or finishes secondary education, whichever shall be the latter. My son is 17, 18 on 6/11/2016. He has dropped out of 6th form college with a view to going to college to complete some studies in horticulture, which he has to do by law now.
It also states in the consent that maintenance in respect of the children of the family shall be paid by the applicant until the youngest child reaches 17 or finishes secondary education, whichever shall be the latter.
Is there anything that i can do to try to help my situation. My ex husband is saying no I haven't got a leg to stand on....

Hi, thank you for your question. Are you able to attach a copy of the consent order for my consideration using the paperclip icon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I am unable to do this because my printer is broken.

Thank you for confirming - how old is your youngest child?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is now 17, 18 on the 6/11/2016


Thanks for confirming. I will assist based solely on the information you have provided. It will depend on whether the college course is viewed as secondary education or not and whether there is anything in the order stating that it is dependant on your son residing with you.

In relation to the child maintenance, this will be the same - however, as the settlement was made by consent, 12 months after the date of the order he would be able to apply to the child maintenance service for a calculation and their calculation will supersede what is in the order - evidently if your son is residing with the father, then the father will no longer be liable for child maintenance to you as this would be for the benefit of your son.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you