How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35068
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

A friend has come to my house in a bad state after a

This answer was rated:

A friend has come to my house in a bad state after a disagreement with her husband who demanded she leave their home. Her son has now called to say her husband is changing the locks on their jointly owned house. What can/should she do - presumably tomorrow as it is 8pm now.
Thank you

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How long have they lived together and how old are the children

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have been married 26 years but have lived together for 33 years in total. Their children are adults aged 22 and 21.

Do they actually own it jointly and has he been violent

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they own it jointly and, no, he has not been violent, but aggressive enough to make her leave the house. All we need to know at this stage is whether she should seek immediate legal advice tomorrow?

She is entitled to return to the property whenever she wishes - breaking in if necessary

Her next steps depend on what she wishes to do.

She can apply to the Court for an Order allowing her to return to the property and forcing her ex to leave.

She can simply return to the property and tell her ex that if he threatens her again she will call the police (and do it if he does)

Or she can start divorce proceedings based on his Unreasonable Behaviour and apply for a sale of the property within the financial side of the divorce

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you