How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My children are temporarily living with their grandparents.

Customer Question

My children are temporarily living with their grandparents. The school in order to register them has requested the court guardianship. I believe that what i need is a special guardianship granting parental rights to my parents, so my questions are:
- Is this special guardianship permanent?
- Would I lose my parental rights? Can my children come back to me?
- Is all i have to do fill out a C13A form and have it signed by the court, or is the process more lenghy?
Thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. You would not lose parental responsibility if a special guardianship order is made. If the grandparents were to apply for, and obtain a special guardianship order, then they would also have parental responsibility, but if there are matters regarding the children's upbringing that you disagreed on, they will have the final say as their parental responsibility would be greater than yours.

However, it may be better if they applied for a child arrangement order (for residence) as this would give them parental responsibility that would be equal to yours.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years.

Before signing anything at all you should ask the school why they need this if the chidlren are only with their grandparents temporarily and you are aware of and happy with the situation

If it is temporary then a simply signed letter confirming that the grandparents have your permission to deal with day to day issues should be sufficient.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks!
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.