How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My 23 year old daughters 40 year old partner is divorcing

This answer was rated:

My 23 year old daughters 40 year old partner is divorcing his wife. The divorce is not very amicable as his 42 year old wife is very angry. She cited the reason for divorce as adultery but did not name my daughter. My daughter and her partner live in a rented house in Wales. In sorting out the finances of the divorce his wifes solicitor has asked for details of my daughters finances, details of property she holds, wishes to see her bank details etc ...and is also asking questions about our family finances. Is there any legal basis on which she can request this information??
This woman has also made an accusation, in a written submission to court, of child abuse against my daughter and her former husband after their daughter had some bruising after a trip to Legoland (accusing my daughter of pushing her 8 year old while she was staying with them) and is now getting people to make nuisance calls to my daughter.
My daughter and her partner are so lovely to the little girl and it is so sad that they cannot see her anymore only via CAFCAS.
I know hell hath no fury and all that but is my daughter legally required to give this information to his wifes Solicitor??
Your advice would be most appreciated.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are there court proceedings in place in relation to the financial matter or the children matter, if so what stage has each reached?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Court proceedings are underway for both. They have no agreed a financial settlement. The husband has made his offer and his financial statement but she has come back requesting this information. The child custody is awaiting the childs return from holiday and the outcome of supervised visits.

Is your daughter a party or intervenor to any of the proceedings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she wasnt named as a correspondent. No Court Documents have been served on her...she just reads her name mentioned constantly on Court papers sent to her partner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to answer my question yet?

Thank you and apologies for the delay in responding. Firstly, unfortunately your daughter cannot stop the wife from mentioning her in court paperwork if the husband continues to be in a relationship with her. This is because it is a relevant factor if he is in a long-term and stable relationship, both in relation to the financial matter and the children matter.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually just wanted to know if my daughter is legally bound to disclose her personal financial information to the Court?

Unless she is a party or an intervenor in the court proceedings she has no obligation to provide this. Her partner will likely be pursued to provide some details of her finances but your daughter has no obligation.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you