Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters

My partner has been separated over 3 years leaving his wife

My partner has been separated over 3 years leaving his wife in the marital home. He had taken on a huge loan due to her gambling which he is still paying off.
I am considering buying a property in my own name before we marry. I say he has to sort out this debt as part of his divorce or I become liable should he be unable to pay, is this correct? (He thinks he can keep our marriage secret from the loan company)

Hi, thank you for your question. Given that his debt was accrued in his previous marriage it would be considered a debt of that marriage. However, prior to marrying you he should reach a financial settlement with his wife that is approved by the court as if he marries you he loses his right to seek financial relief from his current wife.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.