How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34888
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I brought a house in October 2015 in my name only and have

This answer was rated:

I brought a house in October 2015 in my name only and have paid the mortgage myself. My girlfriend and her son moved in with me. She has not worked and I supported while she was at college.
We have now broken up and I have asked her to move out asap.
The deposit for the house was a gift from my parents.
Please can you tell me my rights.
Thank you

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

How old is her son and do you have any children together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 5 years old and will be 6 in October and no children together

When did you ask her to leave and what reply has she given?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked her yesterday to leave today Sunday
She phoned my mum and asked if I could stay with them until today when she could move back to her parents.
My parents said no, as it was my house, so I stayed with a friend last night.
But I won't know until I go home after to work tonight

Since you are not married and the child is not yours, and she has made no financial contribution to the house your girlfriend has no financial interest in the property.

However she is entitled to "reasonable written notice to leave" and given that there is a child involved this should be at least 28 days - possibly more.

provided things can remain civil between you

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ***** have to word the written notice in any certain way or do I just need to request it in writing that I am giving her 28 days notice and to leave by a certain date

No just a polite letter asking her to go by a certain date and saying that after that time you will change the locks is fine.

Keep a copy - and if she will not acknowledge it take a series of time and date stamped photos of it taped to a kitchen cupboard or somewhere similar.

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You are most welcome I hope all goes well