How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35078
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother is in a care home and I continue to live in the

This answer was rated:

My mother is in a care home and I continue to live in the family home, and have done all my life. I am 56. At present we are using mum's savings to pay for care, but the time may come when that money runs out. What happens if the house needs to be sold and what is my position. Will I have any rights to stay in the house, or must I find alternative accommodation.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need seem further information first

How soon is this likely to be an issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
possibly one year from now, depending on my mother;s health needs etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told that as I am not 60 I may have to move out of the house, how true this is I don't know. But it is worrying all the same

I am afraid that it is correct.

Since you are under 60 the Local Authority can count the property as part of the assets available to your mother for the payment of her Care Home fees.

They will then be able to say that they will only finance her if the property is placed on the market.

I am sorry - I appreciate that this is grim news but it may give you time to find a way around the issue that will last until you are 60.

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you