How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

We are planning to separate with a view to waiting 2 years

Customer Question

Hi there. We are planning to separate with a view to waiting 2 years to get divorced. My husband earns approx £50,000 pa, has savings of about £20,000 and a pension. We have been married for 4 years. I work part-time and am self-employed. Last year I earned £6000. The plan is for him to cover the mortgage for me and the 3 children to continue to love in the family home, totaling £1000 pm with insurances. I would then receive tax credits to cover the bills. I would then have my wages for all other expenses, i.e car, clothes, school items. The house is worth £450,000 - £500,000 with an outstanding mortgage of £200,000. He will be renting. Do you think this is a fair agreement for both parties? The house would be sold and divided at a later date when the children finish their primary education. The youngest child is 3.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-How old are all the children?

-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?

-Whose name is ***** ***** in?

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.