How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

What does the law say about infant care with regards to

Customer Question

What does the law say about infant care with regards ***** ***** feeding; if the mother is drinking (know to be approx 12 fl oz of vodka- 8 free poured Vodka and Tonics.). She also admits to 10MG of Dizapan a day (down from an asstounding 100 mg) -
It seems that the infant (3 months old +/-) goes into a sweaty angry 'withrwawl' if away from mum for more than a few minutes. It is outwise alwarmingly placid.
I have no standing at all in this family. There is a desire however to take action as soon as it is safe to do so - currently all holidaying until sunday.
Which LAWS MIGHT be broken here? Are any criminal? - (My idea is the sudden realisation of how serious this is might at least persuade the mum to stop breat feeding.)
2nd what are teh legal responcabilities of the mothers GP etc to advise against breats feeding in such a case? - This mother has been in treatment several times for substance abuse. (Assuming the GP even knows the whole story)
Basicly, I do not expect free advise beyond pointing me to the names of the laws that I can read or ethics codes etc.
Do I have a responcability to contact teh chiled protection agency? should I start with them?
Toby Rolt ***@******.***
PS I DO understand nothing is cut and dried however with the least drama and distress I would like to help this infent who 'seems' to be in danger.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Given that the mother is drinking alcohol and taking diazepam, she should not be breastfeeding at all as this will impact the child health and development. This can be raised as a child protection concern and social services will have a duty to investigate this. This is covered under the Children Act and the decision making of the family courts will consider what is in the child's best interests.

What is your relationship to the mother/family?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I get all that. Please be spisific. I am very clear on what drugs are and do. - I need LAWS - it might be posable that the sudden realization of the potability of 'criminal prosecution' (If it exists) MAY shock the mum to, at least, agreeing to stop breast feeding and allow pediatric assistance in taking the infant through detox if required.I am dating the mums mother (the infants grandmother) - The situation must be handled with great care as the family has the resorses to go anywhere and hire anyone. They are very wealthy - I do not mean well off, I mean published on lists of the Wealthiest people alive.There is a divorce going on in the family. that drama is in danger of hiding the danger here.I need LAWS and ACTS and potential CRIMES for which charges could 'theoretically' be brought. (I'm not looking to escalate this situation but to bring a rapid solution to protecting the infant with the minimum beuocratic interference.)I will be asking the CPA what their guide lines are as well - My influence here will be with skill and by putting my ego aside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many years qualified are you? I thought I was getting a reply from a 10 Years qualified lawyer - with appologies, your reply was frustratingly useless and appeared you did not read my dislexcly writen origional question. PLEASES sharpen up or pass me on. - (I simply dont have time to waffel about, I am sorry to be rude.)
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Solicitor for more than 30 years.

This is classed as neglect and if proved could be sufficient for the child to be removed into care.

It is however unlikely to amount to the Criminal Offence of Child Abuse.

You can read more here

With regard to the GP if he or she is aware of the drinking and the breast feeding then it could amount to negligence to allow the mother to Breastfeed

Please ask if you need further details