How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been to family court this year with the father of my

Customer Question

Hi I have been to family court this year with the father of my child he is 6 years old. The father has been absent from his life for 5 years he left to live in Thailand. The court ordered that he is to have 1 day contact per week. Which I have adhered to and that overnight stay could possibly happen in Sep I allowed overnight after the first week as my ex partner lives with his parents who have never been denied contact with my son so to accommodate them I allowed overnight stays. I have recently had a letter from the grandparents. The father has a solicitor practice who states that he wants alternative contact with my son simutenously with my ex partner 1 week one day 2nd week 4 days one week holiday a year and extra dates like birthday and Boxing Day he stated that I had 7 days to respond otherwise the grandparents would take me to court and also my expartner if I did not reply with a suitable outcome. I have drafted a letter with my ideas of what should be allowed but I am unsure whether to send it as he is obviously a solicitor and wants my court order changed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. When was the court order made and was it a final order?

Can you attach your letter here using the paperclip icon?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

It would appear that they are trying to get around the fact that the Order was only made this year by having the Grandparents asking or contact instead

However asking for four days is simply not reasonable - although holiday contact and time on birthdays and boxing day is not unreasonable.

It would appear that you have worked hard to keep your child in touch with his grandparents so the next step is to write to their solicitor saying that you are willing to discuss holiday ocntact with the Grandparents using family mediation.

You may also wish to point out that having been absent from the child's life for five years a full shared care arrangement is not appropriate - and that you do not understand why you are being threatened with unrealistic time limits.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details