How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Thank you for your previous advice on this matter. Things

This answer was rated:

Hello there Harris, thank you for your previous advice on this matter.Things have now moved on, and my husband has chosen to move out of the marital home. He has chosen to leave and rent a flat in a nearby town for a short term, and as far as I was aware until this evening, it really was for a short term. I have never told him to leave, and still cook his meals, shop for him and do his laundry etc.It now transpires that it may not in fact be as short term as I originally thought it was, as he is now saying that my "sloth and obesity" has forced him out.This is completely unfair, as my "sloth" as he puts it, is mostly down to the fact that I have a long term "invisible" illness called ME which leaves me very tired and lacking in all energy. I manage to keep the public areas of the house looking OK, but the less public areas are messy and untidy as I just do not have the energy to tidy and maintain them in the condition he would like, the "obesity" is due to forced inactivity due to bad osteoarthritis in my knees which restricts my mobility somewhat. Both of these conditions are totally out with my control.I am beginning to think that we are now moving inevitably towards a divorce as he totally refuses to accept that I am actually ill, and his attitude will not change (it has not in the 3 years since diagnosis, and his affair started around the time I was diagnosed).So - my question is what steps do I now need to take to ensure that I get a fair outcome in the divorce?What steps do I need to take to ensure that I am in control of the proceedings? I dont think the finances will be that acrimonious, but as I have limited personal income, I want to keep the costs as low as I can.Do you recommend using a service such as who will complete the necessary paperwork for me, or should I see a solicitor at £220/hr. If I use quickie divorce to complete the paperwork, how much will I have to pay to serve the papers on him, and I accept that I may need to use a solicitor versed in collaborative law to thrash out the financial details.

Hi, thank you for your further question. As stated in my previous response please consider followingthst process when dealing with the financial matter. Given that financial matters are likely to be complicated I would not suggest you deal with matters using quickiedivorce or online services. You should contact a few local solicitors to compare prices as the extra money you are spending with a local solicitor will provide you with regulated professionals and solicitors whereas the majority of the online services are unregulated.
I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank youI have found an experienced local solicitor, but whilst I can control costs I'd like some idea of the actual court costs involved on top of the hourly rate, so I can set aside the money.

Thanks - representation at each court hearing will depend on how long it is listed for but usually for a short listing (half a day maximum) barrister fees would be im the region of at least £1,200. If it is a full day contested listed it is like to be close to £3,000 per day but enquiries can be made with different barristers cabers by your Solicitors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the court fee around £500 that I have seen quoted in various places?I was also under the impression that there was no need for us to physically "go to court" and have barristers?

If matters are agreed regarding the financial matter then there will not be a requirement to attend court, but if the financial matter is contested you will need yo attend court.

Court fees are:

£550 for divorce petition

£50 tonsubmit financial consent order if a settlement is agreed

£255 for financial relief application if financial settlement is not agreed

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you