How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have been living with my partner since January 2012 in a

Customer Question

I have been living with my partner since January 2012 in a house that is solely owned by him. Our daughter was born in April 2012 and we had a short separation where I moved out and moved back in on January 2013 with our daughter. Since then we have been living together and our son was born on 11th June 2015. We have not been getting along and he is telling me to get out. When I say I will be taking the children he says he will be calling social services as the only place I have to go to is my mum's 2 double bedroom flat which is about 10 mins away (he claims this is not good for the children because of the size, but they love their grandmother and it would be a safe place for us all in the interim). Obviously, this would only be temporary measure as I guess I would have to look into what my situation would be with the local council. I only work 3 days a week in London on a fairly low wage and have another 13 year old son who lives with his father with whom I pay maintenance to. If I split up with my current partner I would have to give up work as I would not be able to afford to pay day nursery fees for my youngest son. I cannot current claim tax credits as my partner's salary and my salary combined amounts to more than the threshold allowance for this. My partner is a police officer and can currently retire now whenever he decides, which he says he would do if we split up as he would have to pay me less maintenance for the children. Is there any advice you could assist me with in my position please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare,The house is probably worth between £520,000-£550,000. I honestly do not know how much is outstanding on the mortgage, possibly about £250,000 but I cannot be too sure as this is all under his control. If he does retire he was planning to pay off another £100,000 but does not offer too much information regarding this, I feel mainly because he does not want me to know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has never let me contribute towards the bills. I only buy the shopping!
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much would a cheaper two bedroom property in the area cost to buy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A two bedroom flat in the area is approximately £260,000, at that price you are looking at something above a shop, up to £300,000 for just a 2 bedroom maisonette.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have discovered the current house we live in is nearer the £600,000 mark. I have no claim to the house we live in as this is entirely in his name and we do not have a civil partnership agreement either. What are your immediate thoughts on my situation?