How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have received a divorce petition based on two years

This answer was rated:

I have received a divorce petition based on two years separation, which I am not contesting. Question 6 of the response form is; In the event of a decree nisi on the basis of two years separation with the respondent's consent, do you intend to apply to the Court for it to consider your financial position as it will be after the divorce?
At the moment, I do not need the Court to consider, as we have agreed in an informal manner between us. My question is, if I answer NO, will that preclude me from going to the Court in the future if my ex-husband changes things without agreement.

Thanks for your question. To protect your options in the future you should include something along the lines of "yes, if no agreement can be reached".

You should also be aware that despite you both having an informal agreement, this agreement will not be legally binding or enforceable unless turned into a consent order that is approved by the court.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you