How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My wife left me 6 years ago and now wants 30000.00 of the

This answer was rated:

hi my wife left me 6 years ago and now wants 30000.00 of the house dose she have the rights to force me to sell the property as will never earn enough to pay her and she has never once paid the mortgage?

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are you both?
-How long were you married?

-Did you divorce?

-Has she remarried?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and arrangements?

What is the value of the property, and what is the outstanding mortgage and the debt?
-Who is now living in the property?
-Whose name is ***** ***** in?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi we will both be 51
we lived together for 15 years married for 10
no children with her
the mortgage is about 145000.00 and Werth about 215000.00
I live in the property with my nephew who helps pay the bills
the property is in joint names
not really with pensions
mine is 30000.00 pa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry still married but lived apart for 6 years

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, the news is not great. Given the long marriage and the home being the only asset, she has a right to seek financial relief from you and for there to be a fair settlement. Given the length of the marriage and no other assets a court will likely agree that an equal split of assets is appropriate and therefore, based on your figures, this would be in the region of £30,000-£32,500. In the event that you cannot afford to pay such a lump sum the property will need to be sold to settle the matter. You could look into taking out a loan or remortgaging the property to raise the funds if you cannot find an alternative way and wish to stay in the property.

In the event that such a settlement is reached you should pursue divorce proceedings and have a consent order agreed with her which is approved by the court as this will be the only way to fully settle all claims between you and prevent her attempting to seek further financial relief from you in the future.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you