How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

After 3 years of being with a wonderful partner, my ex had

Customer Question

After 3 years of being with a wonderful partner, my ex had betrayed me (infidelity). I was also lead to a path of lies in the end. This has set me back emotionally, psychologically and financially. I had to move out (out of my will really) into temporary accommodation and as a result my business also suffered. Firstly, after sending several lengthy emotional emails to her, I was told by the police "informally" to stop contacting her, to which I complied with and still cannot comprehend why she has done this given everything (I believe I also now have PTSD as a result of this traumatic experience) She tried to gain access to MY storage unit, which has some of her belongings (which are replaceable). Access denied since she does not have the key to the unit nor did she ask me permission or be reasonable about it. Her items were in there as she was renovating her property and for us to enter a new chapter in our relationship too (we were living together). She however cheated on me with the builder after discovering communication between the 2 as well as the day to day interactions with them. She has also been slandering me to him as well as to her friends. Now, today, I receive a shock email from her solicitors essentially requesting the keys to my storage unit so she can collect her belongings. This is unacceptable as far as I am concerned. Further more, she also owes me money and fails to be morally right (even after the infidelity) by returning the money (yes, she is also a lawyer - a business commercial contracts lawyer and would expect better of conduct on all matters) and requesting access to the unit directly to me. The question is, what is the worst that can happen if I do not give the solicitors the keys? I do not trust her or anyone about gaining access to my unit nor will we both want to see each other anyway, nor do I wish to. The unit is under my name completely and she is lucky I have not charged her rental for the period she has had her belongings in my unit and I, obviously, did this and allowed her to use my unit to store items as a good will/good intention gesture and to "support" her too and be helpful given the relationship at the time. I feel as if I have been wronged many times by her (infidelity, theft also) and yet wants to gain access to my unit? How can this be fair or right? Furthermore, things MUST be on my terms and not hers.

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm:

-Are/were you married to each other?

-By unit, do you mean storage unit?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Your ex has no entitlement to access to the Storage Unit rented in YOUR Name - no matter what threats her solicitors make.

However she IS entitled to the return of her belongings - and if you fail to make arrangements for this then your ex can sue you for their return.

However difficult you need to put the emotional side of this to one side and make a proposal for h=the return of her belongings.

I woudl be minded to suggest that se sends removers to the Unit on a date set by you so that you can arrange for the belongings to be collected - and send a list of those items.

That is a reasonable offer and one which a court would support if it came to that

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and sorry for the delay. I was having technical issues with the website.The unit is a professional storage unit. What I find unfair is that whilst there is debt owed to me from her, she would still be "entitled" to her possessions. I think this is unfair and one sided. Furthermore, the value of the items certainly wont exceed more than what she would sue me for and I am in belief that she needs to prove those items are hers as well as being in my storage unit, surely?And if I may, this is also harassment of some kind - on one hand she calls the police who gives me an "unofficial" warning for on reason really and is over the top and yet she contacts me indirectly? Again, how is this fair and how does that sit with the law?Seems one sided....
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much does she owe you and what for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163;2500 for helping out in her finances as she was awaiting for some shares to be paid to her and was worried she could not pay as much to the builders who were renovating the house we were living in together (her house). It was a loan and she said she would pay me back but never did. I do know she received the cheque/payment as I saw the letter attached to it the cheque which she deposited into her account.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You must return her items to her - failure to do so amounts to theft - and also then provides "evidence" that you are the one behaving badly - which you are not.

Separately you can use Money Claim online to sue her for the money she owes you.

This is in fact a separate issue - the possessions and the debts should not be mixed!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Just seems unfair really on all accounts.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I understand - but do not delay the money claim - sooner rather than later