How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34893
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have currently ended a relationship with my childs

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have currently ended a relationship with my childs farther. I have no clue what to do next as I have banned my childs farthers grandparents a year ago as for reasonable reasons. However now my ex has kept stealing from my home when seeing my son so do not wish him to be at mine and do not want his family to gain access which I know if he go out he will take my child there. He has also refused to be watched by anyone while bein with my child. Please if you could give me advice thank you.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

How old is your child and why should the grandparents not be involved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is currently 20 months old. And when my son was 5 months old his grandparents kicked me and my son out with no valid reason and I was threatened by the grandparents boyfriend while I was breastfeeding had me up wall and cudnt move but there was only me and my son in the room so no witnesses. I rather my child not be around them as well as always had issues of them telling me what i can and can't do although I am an adult

Why is your ex not capable of looking after the baby?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no legal reason why he can't look after them. However the father tends to just not do anything but watch tv when he is around. I have left him for an hour but has no trust as he stresses and can not cope with my child as constant shouts at him for nothing for example tapping him to get his attention. He is only happy to feed my child. I know if he takes my son anywhere he's family would see my child against wishes. the farther has nothing in his home for child no bed no toys and no safety equipment which is a concern
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want him comin to mine any more as I have recieved multiple amount of times money bein stolen. But I do not wish his grandpaparents seein my child. Is there anything I can do.

Have the grandparents got a criminal record at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I know of.

Have you offered contact at a local contact centre?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The grandparents I have no contact with so only would gain access from the farther which I wudnt be happy with. The farther has refused to go through contact centres

I am sorry but I have to be honest with you about what you will and will not be able to achieve when it comes to contact.

You can certainly delay him seeing the child anywhere but at a contact centre for a few months if the matter has to go to court - but in the long term I am afraid he will be able to take the child out - and he will be able to take them to dee his parents.

You could have only prevented this if there was evidence that the grandparents had a history of being a danger to children.

I am sorry - I know that this is not what you wish to hear but it is the law as it stands.

At the moment your option is to wait to see if your ex decides to take action about contact.

If you hear from a Family Mediator do not ignore it - attend and explain your concerns - but remember in the long term he will be successful - so do not let it go to court as otherwise he will always claim he "won"

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you