How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35051
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My parents have both passed away and I now live in the house

This answer was rated:

My parents have both passed away and I now live in the house as an only child I will inherit the property and wish to change the name on the deeds to my name how is the best way to do this

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Which part of the Uk are you in

When did your parents pass away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in LiverpoolMy father passed away 10 years ago my mother passed away 33 years ago. I have been living in the property for the last 4 years. There is no will. The house was purchased through the origian right to buy in the 70's or 80's.

Just to check - the property is in both of their names?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both names on deed.


You will need to obtain Letters of Administration for your fathers estate.

You do not need to obtain them for your mother's estate and the house passed to your father on her death automatically and therefore falls within his Estate

You can read about obtaining Letters of Administration here

Once you have these then you can complete an AS1 transferring the property into your name

Then you register it at the Land Registry using an AP1

Please ask if you need further detaols

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you