How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am separated from my wife and we have 2 children ages 16

This answer was rated:

I am separated from my wife and we have 2 children ages 16 and 13. the 16 year old has chosen to live with me permanently, the 13 year stays with me usually once a week.
I am currently making a payment to my wife for child maintenance, this is a family based arrangement but I think I am paying too much considering I have one of the children living with me (over 6 months and no suggestion he will return to live with his mum).
I earn in the region of 76k, can you give me an idea of what I should be paying?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to add to this, my wife lives in the family home. We are not divorced yet and plan to sell the familiy home at some point. I moved out and now rent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I currently pay £850 per month to my wife for chile maintenance

Thank you for your question

You should be paying 12% of 89% of your gross income at most - in fact slightly less so you are indeed overpaying - the actual figure should be less than £670 a month.

You can do the exact calculation using the guide here

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you, 12% of 89% of my gross income, That feels better :-) many thanks for your advice.Chris

You are most welcome - and that is "at most" there are further deductions for high earners!

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you