How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Family law Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more

This answer was rated:

Family law
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: My 11 year old's father has decided she should go to counselling as she does not get on with her stepmother of 6 years. What are her and my rights in this?

Hi, thank you for your question. Jsut a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales

-What the issues are which led to this referral to counselling?

-What are the current arrangements for your daughter to live/see you?

-Are there any court orders regarding her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in England. There was no referral, it was a decision her father has made as she does not get on with her stepmother, from what I understand there is a lot of antagonism between them. My daughter lives with me and sees her father every other weekend. There are no court orders in place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to understand my daughter's rights (she is very upset and does not want to go, I will try to manage this but am concerned at the upset it is causing). Also, do I have any rights to be involved, to be informed of progress, to know who she is seeing, to access records?

Thanks for confirming. As you are her mother you have parental responsibiltiy which entitles you to be involved and consultated regarding major decisions regarding your daughter, including health issues. If you were married to the father or if he was named on the birth certificate, he too has parental responsibility.

Counselling should be a voluntary matter and she should not be forced to engage. In any event, if it appears she is being forced to attend the counsellor will note this and any sessions that take place are unlikely to be productive if she does not engage with the counsellor. It is also likely that the counselling sessions will be confidential and everything discussed between the counsellor and your daughter will be between them and neither you nor the father will likely be able to access this information if it is decided it should be confidential, but in any event as you are the main carer the father should be discussing this referral and these issues with you.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you