How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34889
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My granddaughter is 10 years old mother is very unstable

Customer Question

My granddaughter is 10 years old mother is very unstable father not on the scene she cries and wants to come and live with me her grand mother I am very willing for that to happen what are the chances
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much time does the child spend with you at the moment?

What concerns do the school have about her care?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two or three days a week two days with step father the rest with her mother school are unaware of any problems at the moment because the child is to scared to open her mouth
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Sorry - how many nights does she spend with you each week on avarage and which grandmother are you (paternal or maternal)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At least three nights I am maternal grand mother
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Can she attend the same school if she lives with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to stop my daughter from seeing her daughter I just want and need to lighten the load for both of them
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried discussing things with your daughter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes I have tried to get help from doctors my daughter goes then doesn't take the help prescribed for her I have been trying to help her ever since the child was born by taking her for days and nights but now the child dreads going home to her mum not because of physical violence but the Unpredictabily of her behaviour.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Is her step father any help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you ever going to answer me
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for the delay

At 10 your granddaughter is too young to decide who she lives with - although her wishes will be taken into account they will not be decisive.

If you believe that her spending more time with you would benefit the child and indeed the mother then a meeting with a Family Mediator

to see if as a family you can reach an agreement that helps them both.

This is a pre requisite for any Court application in any event.

You would need permission from the court to even make the application for an Order that the child lives with you; her biological father would have to be involved, and the fact that the child has confided in anyone else makes success unlikely

However if you believe that the current position places the child at risk then your only option is to involve Social Services who will place the child with you if they believe that the risk is sufficiently severe.

None of this will e easy - so try family negotiation first

Please ask if you need further details