How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

When my parents got divorced in 1994, the court ordered my

This answer was rated:

Hi. When my parents got divorced in 1994, the court ordered my dad to buy a house for my mother, my sister and me. We were children at the time. When we grew up, my mum sold the house and bought a small flat. The rest of the money she divided unevenly between my sister and me. The question is, did my mum have the right to decide how to split the money or am I entitled to a third? Maria

Hi, thank you for your question. Do you have access to the court order, if so please could you attach it using the paperclip icon here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, my mum has it. When I spoke to her on the phone today (on this particular subject), she hung up on me...

Thanks for confirming - it will be difficult to give you firm information without knowing the exact details of the financial agreement/order.

However, you should be aware that in divorce and financial relief proceedings, the court will only be deciding on assets and only has a the power to transfer assets between husband and wife unless there has been a specific and formal application for the children. It is common for the orders to state something along the lines of "the property be transferred/bought for the husband/wife to be used for the benefit of the children until a certain age".

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you