How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

In event of a divorce where a child of the couple stays with

This answer was rated:

In event of a divorce where a child of the couple stays with mother with good access by father and his family .
The mother re- marries after divorce knowing she has a life threatening illness and subsequently dies .
What is the legal position with respect to custody of the child where the new husband has no blood relationship to her and the father has continued with access and support ?

Hi, thank you for your question. Are you in England or Wales and how old is the child?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Age 7

Thanks for confirming. The new husband himself has no rights to the child, however, as this is a significant adult and partner in the mother's relationship he will no doubt have contact and a relationship with him and this can only be reasonably restricted if there are welfare or child protection concerns. If it is just the husband that seeks relationship he will need to demonstrate that there is a significant relationship with the child to obtain permission to purse an application for a child arrangement order.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you