How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been seperated for 2 years and have 2 children. We

This answer was rated:

I have been seperated for 2 years and have 2 children . We have a marital house which I pay for. She has changed the locks and won't allow me in the house . My question is can she do this and could I legally move back into the house ?

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you married to each other?

-Is the title in joint names?

-Are there any court orders excluding you from the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are still married . The title is in both names.There are no court orders excluding me from the house

Thanks for confirming. Legally she is not allowed to change the locks without a court order. He has a legal interest which entitles him to occupy the property and also obtain a share of the proceeds of sale (or for him to be bought out for his share). However, as they are married and have two children the main carer of the children will likely have the higher needs and therefore be able to persuade a court that the property is required to accomodate the children - but in respect of your specific question legally he will be allowed to return to the property unless a court order is in place excluding him.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you