How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34888
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

This may be a bit of a complicated one! My ex has been

Customer Question

Hi, this may be a bit of a complicated one!
My ex has been paying £30 per wk( for 2 children )plus half of 'extras' which are usually school uniform etc in September .
I talked to the CSA or whatever they are now called about a year ago and they told me that he was paying too much as he only earned around £6000 a year.(this was based on what went into his account,not the bills I am about to list and what he has access to)
When we were together he obviously paid out more than £120 a month to keep 2 children and nothing has changed in his business since then, In fact it has got bigger.
He is in partnership with his dad. They are beef and arable farmer's but they also have a livery stables ( which may possibly be in my exes girlfriends name), a contracting business and many buildings which are rented out, also 3 caravans rented on the farm and a lot of space taken with another business which has storage containers that have taken more space than I believe to be allowed.
My ex doesn't pay rent, council tax, electricity, water, telephone, food shopping. I'm pretty sure he doesnt pay insurance l. As far as I a am aware, the farm pays everything for him. The only thing is that it either comes from the farm account as a whole (for the electric /water) or it is paid on card (food shopping , fuel ) and the farm pays for it.
Either way, is this not classed as an income?
Just because it doesn't come out of his account or isn't paid in to then be paid out, is it not classed as income? ! Surely this is classed as income? Especially as he's a partner in the business?
He has save money recently to take our children to florida ( I wouldn't allow him so he bought a new pick up truck!) He's recently bought a boat and want to rake our children away I'm the half term and to London next year!
I guess I'm asking where I stand?
This doesn't sound right at all!
But I don't want to start legal proceedings unless it's in my favour as I can't afford to.
Thanks for listening ☺
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. The child maintenance calculation is based on the non-resident parent's gross taxable income, therefore the benefits he is receiving will be exempt if he is not taxed on them. If you believe he is concealing income you have the right to inform the child maintenance service if they have issued an application otherwise they will not have jurisdiction to deal with this.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Solicitor for more than 30 years

Is the business run as a Limited Company?