How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35046
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I wish to know my rights as a father of a 15 year old

This answer was rated:

I wish to know my rights as a father of a 15 year old daughter who lives in UK. My wife abruptly stopped speaking to me in 2003 and has not allowed my daughter to speak to me since then.. My daughter and I managed to start communication online since the last 2 years. I am now visiting UK from India to meet my daughter who is very eager to meet me.. What are my legal options if my wife prevents me from meeting my daughter ? She is completing 16 years on November 5th 2016. I am planning to meet her in Sept 2016.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Could you delay your trip until November at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am travelling on an official visit this month and of course I can travel after November again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response.

Once your daughter is 16 it is entirely up to her whether or not she sees you and no one can prevent her from doing so

Technically even at 15 your daughter 's decision on this matter would be respected by the court - but there is not enough time for an applictaion to the court to be dealt with prior to her 16th birthday at which point and Order would end.

There is no reason why you should not meet her from school and return her afterwards if she would find it difficult to get away from her mother to see you at any other time.

Please ask if you need further help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the school authorities permit me to meet her at school? I have not visited their school at all. Should I set an appointment with the principal or administrator to get permission to meet her? Or alternatively can I meet the father at the church where my wife takes her every Sunday?

She is nearly 16 - you can simply meet after she has left school for the day.

It is unwise to meet her where her mother will also be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the implications for me legally if I happened to meet my daughter at any place where her mother came to know of it or was present at that location ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not legally divorced , by the way...

No implications whatsoever

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I had to politely call my wife and request her to allow me to meet my daughter can there be any adverse implication for me legally? Thank you for your patience...

It seems a little pointless since she will say no and it may make it more difficult for your daughter to meet you at all

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks a lot Clare, your advise is very valuable. Good night and have a great weekend!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, i just forgot to ask the most important input for my earlier question, What do I do if my wife forcefully prevents my daughter from meeting me through strong emotionAl outbursts? Could I take help of police for the emotional victimisation of my daughter who has been suppressed from meeting me for over 13 years?

The police will not get involved.

Unfortunately if your daughter does not feel able to defy your wife there is little that can be done - this is why I suggest that you meet her from school

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In case I choose to engage someone like you to fight a legal case involving emotional victimisation of me and my daughter for over 13 years through suppression and estrangement, do we have a good chance to win ? This is probably my last question for today :)) thank you for being so patient.

Sadly there is no case that you can bring - I wish there were