How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If a UK citizen has a baby in USA, will it automatically be

This answer was rated:

If a UK citizen has a baby in USA, will it automatically be a UK citizen or does the mother have to make some kind of application?
Also, is there any practical benefit from registering the birth in the UK? What value is there from being on the UK register and having a consular birth certificate?

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - is the mother (or father) British by birth or by descent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mother is British by birth.

In that case the child is entitled ti a British Passport and to live in the UK.

All the mother needs to do is apply for a passport for the child

There is no need to Register the child in the UK

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would there be any benefit to the child later in life, of having a consular birth certificate? eg if he/she wants a passport after the age of 18, would having the certificate make it easier? It just seems a lot to pay if there is no value in it, but she would want to do it if it would be of use to the child later in life.

That is hard to predict.

It would make it easier to get a copy of the birth certificate if it was ever lost, and of course would mean that they can always prove their nationality even if the passport is lost

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.