How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am over 60 and thinking of moving in with my mother so I

This answer was rated:

I am over 60 and thinking of moving in with my mother so I can help with her care she will be buying a larger property if she needs to go into a care home would the property have to be sold or could I stay living there. Would my name have to be on the deeds ?

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Will you be making a financial contribution to the new property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not towards the purchase

May I ask why she will need to move if you go to live with her - and what assets she currently has

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She needs to move to a more suitable property as she is quite frail at the moment she lives 2hrs away she would have support of the rest of the family who also live here her assets are just the property she owns

Ah - so no extra funds would be used - it would be a like for like purchase?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it would

May I ask - are you an only child?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have a brother and sister but they won't be involved with her care


Since you are over 60 if you are living with your mother the Local Authority cannot force you to leave so that the property could be sold and her capital in the proerty will be disregarded

You can read more here

Your name does not have to be on the deeds.

I hope that this is of assistance

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you