How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

How do you have to be separated in England before the other

This answer was rated:

How long do you have to be separated in England before the other party can´t contest the divorce? My daughter is separated from her husband for two years now. So far he refused to sign any papers of her solicitor despite living with another woman and having a child with her. Thank you for your help. Elisabeth

Hi, thank you for your question. She would require his consent to apply for divorce under 2 year separation, however she can immediately apply under the fact of unreasonable behaviour based on his new cohabitation amd relationship - she does not need a minimum amount of separation or his consent to do this. He will be entitled to defendthe divorce but will only be successful if he can prove the marriage has not broken down, which is unlikely based on his new relationship.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you