How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35215
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner and I (not married) have decided to split up. we

Customer Question

Hi. my partner and I (not married) have decided to split up. we have 2 daughters, but every time there is any sort of argument, i get threatened that she will take them back to Scotland (where she is from). The girls have never lived in Scotland and go to school etc in England. how do I stop this constant threat? i have looked online and it seems that a court order could be granted, but believe mediation has to happen first. is this correct? what are my options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old are the children

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the children are 10 and 6
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Your ex cannot take the children to Scotland to live without your agreement or an order from the Court.

From what you have said it is unlikely that such a Court Order would be granted.

If the threats have become a major problem then you can seek a Prohibited Steps Order from the court preventing her from changing their schools and taking them to a different legal Jurisdiction (which is what Scotland is)

This is done using a form C100 and paying the fee of £215.

It would be useful to attend Family Mediation first to see what agreements can be reached p but in the event of a real and immediate risk it is not necessary.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clare. if I applied for a 'prohibited steps order', how long do they last? or is it something that would need to be applied for each year?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

It can last until the children are 16

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last question i think.......can i do this without my ex's knowledge and have it ready just in case she threatens again, or would she need to be part of the process? i would rather not go through the courts if it could be avoided, but cant keep living in fear either that she would try to take them away
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

If you apply for it she will be part of the process - although to start with you can obtain one without telling her to stop her just going