How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife has registered the birth of our son but not given

This answer was rated:

My wife has registered the birth of our son but not given him my surname what can i do?
we are separated as she walked out of the marriage

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

When was the baby born?

How long have you lives apart?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
19/08/16 JJ was born,7 weeks premature
we were married o 26/09/16
my wife was already expecting when we were married
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my wife left me on the 12/04/16
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry date of marriage was 26/3/16

Have you seen the baby?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have for the first week my wife was in hospital I went every day I was the first to hold change him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then there was an argument as I did not manage to go one night due to work late and the war started

What contact have you had since then

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since she went home to her mums nothing as her family have made many threats towards me which the police are aware of untill JJ feeding tube come out they say I can only go to her home to visit of which I am uncomfortable doing I just want my son to have my name if there is anything I can do

has she at least put your name on the Birth Certificate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only as the father. She has given him her surname. We had agreed he would have mine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there nothing I can do ?

You can apply to the court for a specific issue order regarding the name being changed, and for a Child Arrangement Order setting out the time that the child will spend with you.

The fact that you are married and the child is newborn means that you have a good chance of the courts agreeing with you on the name

Your starting point is to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting with a Family Mediator - and if mediation is not successful you can then apply to the court using a form C100 and paying the fee of £215.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanknyo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you

I hope that this has helped you understand your position

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you