How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Can the mother of our child for whom I have parental

This answer was rated:

Can the mother of our child for whom I have parental responsibility and I agree together that I renounce the parental responsibility and financial responsibility in favour of the stepfather and if so, how do we do this?

Hi, thank tou for your question. What is the reason for wanting to do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son has asked me to research his options. Basically his relationship with the mother of Sophia, his daughter, is untenable and always was. He never wanted a child with her and had left the relationship when he was told she was pregnant. He has tried to be a father for a while, but the mother has moved a long way away and in truth, he feels it has become an unsustainable position, especially now that she is marrying someone else. He also wishes to marry someone else who does not really want his child in the picture. It is all rather difficult.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you let me know when you might answer my original question? Thanks

Thank you. Of course it is a difficult situation, but the child has a right to a relationship with her biological father and the mother can only restrict this if there are welfare or child protection concerns. Relinquishing parental responsibility is a major step and her stepfather would need to consider adopting her thereby discharging your son's parental responsibility. You can see further information about the process here:

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is adoption the only way. Can they not come to a mutual agreement about this or is this denying the child her rights. The biological father would always be in the background, but allow the child a stable upbringing.

How did your son acquire PR? Was it through marriage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He tried to live with the mother on the birth of the child and his name is ***** ***** birth certificate. This lasted six weeks. He has visited her every two weeks for the last three years under the mother's orders and financial requirements. Now the new man is on the scene and they both want to lead their own lives. She has also moved a long way away. so it is very difficult. She also talks about moving abroad.

How old is the child?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - the most straightforward method would be for the stepfather to adopt the child.