How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34890
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have items in my last relationships home that i am paying

Customer Question

i have items in my last relationships home that i am paying finance for. i wasn't mentally able to get them back straight away, but i would like them back as I'm paying for them and she has refused to contribute to the cost. what are my rights?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Could you explain a little more about the situation please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We lived together for over 18 months..things came to a head when I found drugs in the house, I grabbed her wrist, and as a result I was arrested. I pleaded guilty. And I now have a crimal record, which will be resolved in November.
I was the one being abused, but never saw an opportunity to get out.
I am currently back on my meet, I haven't spoken to her, and I have finanace on some items in the her home. iMac ipad camera equipment which is worth £3000 bed and sofa. I have finanace on all this and receipts, I would like them back to pay off the finanace she has no funds to take over the finanace. What should be my first step? Can I collect with a police office? What can I do about the finanace, can I ask them to collect it if I no longer want the items? What are my best options as I no longer can afford to keep paying for these items.
Many thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

When did you leave the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
November last year
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Have you written and asked for them back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

That should be the starting point.

You should give a time limit and say that if you do not receive a positive response you will have no option but to take court action

If this is ignored then you can sue her for the value of the goods using the Small Claims Court procedure - requesting either the money or the return of the goods

Please ask if you need further details