How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I'm separated from my husband. I need a document that we

This answer was rated:

I'm separated from my husband.
I need a document that we will both sign to say that we are not entitled to eachother's assets in the future.
For example, if one of us were to come into money, or end up with a great pension in the future. I want us to sign something so that it would be protected.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How far has the divorce reached?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We haven't started divorce proceedings. We were waiting until we had been living apart for 2 years.

Then at present the best you can do is have a Separation Agreement setting out the financial agreement.

To have a chance of being binding this should be signed after you have each had separate independent legal advice

There is a template here to give you an idea of contents

When you are dealing with the divorce you can turn it into a Clean Break Consent Order and have it sealed by the court - only then it is it totally binding

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm due to receive some medical compensation within the next 6 months. Is this the best way to protect this money?

It is the only way available

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you