How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35043
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can I sue my ex husband for emotional damages caused by

Customer Question

Can I sue my ex husband for emotional damages caused by domestic abuse. He admitted unreasonable behaviour in our divorce. 6 years later and I'm still emotionally scarred and unable to get in another relationship. Why should I still be suffering emotionally and financially cos of his behaviour!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

I am sorry but sadly there is no claim that you can make in these circumstances.

If the behaviour was bad then it was a matter which had to be dealt with with in the financial settlement in the Divorce, there is no separate action that you can now take

Again I am sorry - I can only tell you the law as it is.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I had seen online stories where people had. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Not in the Uk I am afraid - or at least not in these circumstances