How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

If a couple that are married split and the husband moves

Customer Question

if a couple that are married split and the husband moves out. They have a joint mortgage what is the best way to to sort the house. Should they get it valued now and if the wife wants to stay in the house as she has 2 children 14yrs and 9 yrs. If she cannot afford to buy him straight away and they have value of the house now, would he only then be entitled to half share from when they split not when or if she sells in later years.Thank You
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

How much is the house roughly worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage

What other assets are there including pensions and what income do they each have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The house is worth at the state its now maybe about 70k and there might be 50k left to pay or less. there is no private pensions. Wife earns 22k and husband 35k
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much can the wife raise?