How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1373
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My son is American. He married his french wife in France.

This answer was rated:

My son is American. He married his french wife in France. They divorced in Los Angeles, America. His ex-wife is moving back to France and has told him they are not divorced as they married in France and they have to divorce again. Is this so? He paid her alimony as agreed. I would have thought a divorce was legal. It was done through the courts with attorney's. I thought that place of marriage was irrelevant as long as divorce was legal.


Yes you are correct - a divorce pronounced abroad is presumed a valid divorce.

The issue that you son might however face is that his ex might still be able to apply to a french court in respect of maintenance / variation.

Your son should however does not have to be divorced again and he is free to remarry.

kind regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only had one question and do not want to pay a monthly fee. I did not understand that I would have to. Please cancel my account. Thank you for answering the question I had.
Felicity McKinne

Hello Felicity

apologies for my delay in respondng - its ok if you only have one question.

You can still positively rate and this will not charge you any more.

You can also contact cutomer services and explain you dont want a subscription.

I am sorry I dont have any administrative functions.

The number for customer services is 0***-***-**** - its a free phone number.

kind regards


ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you