How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband and I have separated however we are still living

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have separated however we are still living under the same roof as neither can afford to move out. We have a joint bank account with a little bit of savings but my husband has changed the password ***** I can't use any of the savings despite the fact that I've never given him reason to distrust me. He has ended our 16 year marriage. Is he allowed to stop me having access and am I entitled to half our savings?

Hi, thank you for your question. As it is a joint account you are both equally entitled to it and going forward it will be in yoir interest to set up your own account. You should contact the bank and inform them of the separation and ask them to put a hold on the account to prevent withdrawals whilst you try to reach an agreement with him. If there are substantial savings in the account and the bank dont assist you can apply to court for an injunction to prevent him accessing the account.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you