How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I'm separated from my wife for 3.5 years now I have been pay

This answer was rated:

Hello, I'm separated from my wife for 3.5 years now I have been pay £2500 per month to help her support our two children. The CSA recommend I should be paying £1115 per month.
My ex now has a part time job and I'm struggling to keep these payments up, I really want to reduce them to £1500 per month still way above what the CSA recommend. When it comes to alamony is she entitled to more?
Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-What is your gross taxable income each year?

-Are the children yours and how old are they?

-How many nights each week, on average, do they stay overnight with you?

-Do you have any other children you provide for or live with you, if so how many?

-What is her income?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey there so my gross yearly salary is £130,000.
Yes the children are mine and they are 11 and 7.
So over three weeks they stay four nights. But Christmas and holidays they may stay for a week to two weeks.
No other children.
I don't know what her income is. She will be working three days a week as a fully trained gas engineer. I paid for her training after the separation. To help her get on her feet.Chris

Thank you. Based on your information, your legal liability for child maintenance is approximately £1235 per month. You have no obligation to pay more than this for the children and if she were to pursue a court application for a top-up payment, this will fail as your gross income must be be over £156,000pa. Anything you pay above the legal amount is your choice, but she should be aware what your legal obligation is.

In relation to other financial issues, as you were married, and if she has not remarried and there is no court order settling the finances she is entitled to apply to court for financial relief regarding assets and spousal maintenance, but the court will need to undertake a full assessment of both your positions and needs before making a decision.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you