How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1376
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I am currently in England and going through separation with

This answer was rated:

I am currently in England and going through separation with my spouse. We don't have a joint account although we are all working and having our own savings.
I own 2 cars (all in my name) and we have got no mortgage at the moment. I have arranged for a child support for my son who is currently 3years.
She is trying to stop me seeing my son when she leave with him to another accommodation within England.
What do I need to do (my parental rights) so that I can be able to see my son, and what advice can you provide to make my separation go smoothly.


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are exeriencing with your ex.

Please may I ask:

- were you named on your son's birth certificate?

- why is she saying you can no longer see your son?

- how far away is she moving?

- were you legally married?

- are there any other assets either of you have?

kind regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your timely reply- I am named on the child's certifiacate and passport
- I have refused to pay for her accommodation when she leave, unless there is a prove that she has spent all her money in her account. If she has spent all her savings, will she come for my savings when we finalise divorce paperwork?
- She is currently moving within 2hours radar from where I am living, but might move again within 12months
- Yes we were legally married
- There is no any other assets I am aware ofMany thanks


Thank you for your response.

How much do you both have in savings?

Do you agree with her choice of moving with your son?

kind regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiAt the moment I am ok for her to take my son due to his age hence I am arranging for Child Support, and I will fight for full custody in future which I know will not be easy with her.I don't know her much she has saved until we present bank statement and I am not in a position to publish my savings figures on here (public forum)Regards


Thank you for your responses.

- are you wanting to spend some time with your son when she moves? have you talked about a routine of when you will see him?

- do you think that there is a disparity between your respective savings?

- Is there also a disparity between your respective incomes?

kind regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiI want to see my so at least twice a month when I am busy working and at least take him for a holiday twice a year, but she is refusing that. Apparently if she will let me see my son, it will be for few hours a day and I can't take him away with me.I can confirm that there is disparity between our respective savings and incomes after what we have gone through togetherRegards


Please accept my apologies for my delay in responding to you.

It is the courts posotion in respect of children - that it is a childs right to have a relationship with both of their parents as long as it is safe to do so.

It is important that agreement is reached so that your son has the stability of knowing when he will spend time with you.

If the mother will simply not agree then you need to make an application to court for a child arrangements order so that the court can stipulate in an order the arrangements it deems in yours sons best interests.

The times you have suggested are not unreasonable and in fact a court would likley allow you more time with your son, if this could be acheived around your work schedule.

The first thing you need to do is to refer to family mediation. There are lots of family mediation services and there will be one local to you. Just google family mediation in your area and give them a call to get the ball rolling.

If mediation doesnt work in reaching an agreement or your ex wont engage then the mediator will sign the form that you need to apply to court.

The Form is C100 and you apply to your local family court. The only court fee is £215.

The court can also make a decision in respect of the issue of the mother wanting to move away - if this is going to be a significant distance and will affect your sons ability to spend time with you.

In respect of the finances - you have to be aware that should divorce be issued then either of you can make a claim in respect of the matrimonial finances. This is the assets and liabilities of both of you. The starting point for division is equality but if your ex earns less and will be the main carer for your son then she is likley to argue for more and also possibly spousal maintenance. Mediation can also help you reach agreement in respect of the finances and if an agreement is reached then I would suggest that this is drawn up into a consent order and submitted to the court for approval once decree absolute is applied for. This will prevent any future claim being made.

Kind Regards


Please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helpin you. If you star rate positively then your question will remain open and I can answer your follow up questions for free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiMany thanks for your reply above.What happens with Spousal Maintenance if she choose not to work due to education commitments.Regards


Your wife has a duty to mitigate her own position and the court would expect her to look for work. Spousal maintenance is no longer seen as a meal ticket for life.

Let me know if I can help you further.

ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you