How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am currently in a situation where myself and my partner of

Customer Question

Good afternoon. I am currently in a situation where myself and my partner of 6 years have come to the agreement of seperation. We are not married. I have been living with him in his house for 5 years. Which I have contributed towards house hold goods and food shopping as well as paying half of the utility bills which we pay money into a joint account each month. He pays the mortgage. My name is ***** ***** the mortgage and not being married I would like to know if I am possibly entitled to anything seeing as a large majority of my wages have gone toward the house and raising our child. I do not want to leave the family home with my child with nothing but my own wages which would not even be enough to put down for a deposit for rented accommodation. I'd appreciate it if you can give me some advice to see if I should pursue this and find some answers, thank you. Natasha
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm:

-What were your contributions in relation to?

-How old is your child and what are the proposed arrangements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Contributions including weekly food shops, clothing for my child,and house hold goods, as well as paying into a joint account of £200 a month (sometimes more) to pay for utility bills and also a sofa which we have on credit. Our child is four years old. We are still currently living at the family home but intend on moving to rented accommodation whenever possible.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. As you are not married, and if there were no formal agreements in relation to contributions entitling you to a share of the property, unfortunately you would not be entitled to seek a share of the property. If you had an agreement and if you had contributed to major refurbishments or improvements that would have led to an increase in value of the property you would have a good case to seek to be compensated through the courts, but if this is not the case then unfortunately you would not be entitled to be compensated for day to day outgoings for the family.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.